Whatever beauty aid you decide to make use of, stick to it and do it regularly to get a lasting benefit.
* Rub a rind of lemon over your face if you have an oily skin and this will lessen grease and whiten your complexion.
* Mix the juice of one lemon to two tablespoons of milk or cream. Apply this on your face and neck and massage for a few minutes. Then rinse off. Do this daily before going to bed. It helps to bleach your face and keep your hands soft and supple.
* Take a teaspoon of limejuice and stir in half a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of milk. Mix well and apply over your face and neck fifteen minutes before you take your bath. This lotion will have a mild bleaching effect on a greasy skin, which because of its excessive oil may be rather sallow.
* To one tablespoon of cucumber juice, stir in a few drops of limejuice and a dash of turmeric powder. Mix well and apply over your face and neck. Leave it on for half an hour and then remove it with ordinary tap water. This lotion makes an excellent whitener for all types of skin.
* Cut tomatoes in half and rub over the face. This is useful for toning up and whitening the skin and refining the pores.
* To cleanse the face, soak a piece of cotton wool in unboiled milk and rub the face with it gently from the chin upwards to the forehead.
* Mix a teaspoonful of turmeric powder with cream, sandal powder and bengal gram flour and make into a paste and apply once a day for about half an hour before a bath. This is an excellent beauty aid to keep the face fresh and soft.
* Grate and squeeze juice out of a small piece of watermelon. Apply it on your face and leave it on for about fifteen minutes. Then wash with hot water and splash on some cold water. This lotion not only freshens up the skin but also clears the skin of its blemishes.
* Grind a few cabbage leaves and extract the juice. Dissolve a little yeast in it and to this add a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and apply it thickly over your face and neck and leave it on for fifteen minutes. Then remove with cotton wool soaked in water. This is an excellent remedy for counter-acting dry skin
* To close pores that are open, rub ice wrapped in cotton wool gently on the face.
* Add a little carrot juice and orange juice to a cup of milk. Rub this mixture daily on a face scarred with smallpox marks and they may disappear gradually.
* To remove dead skin from the face, apply a mixture of glycerine, limejuice and sugar and rub gently.
Organic. All natural. Herbal. Any of these words on the label of our personal care products makes it more appealing. After all, all natural is 搃n� these days. What is not too appealing is the unnaturally high price you pay at the checkout. So, why not avoid the extra cost and make these beauty treatments at home? The result is store bought beauty without the store bought price.
Shampoo, for example, can really get expensive if you are looking for something extra for problem hair, or just to give your hair a little pizzazz. However, if you are on a budget, you may buy the cheaper brands, sacrificing the extra benefits the others provide.
A simple solution is following your usual shampoo with a homemade rinse. For shiny hair, rinse with cider vinegar, one half cup to every quart of water. If natural highlights are what you are looking for, use chamomile tea, or make your own rinse by steeping chamomile flowers in hot water, then strain. Remove build up caused by hair sprays and other products with a rinse of Witch Hazel. Whichever one you use, make sure you catch the liquid in a bowl if you want to rinse your hair more than once.
Another area that can get costly is skin care products. From toners to cleansers, the more they claim to do the more expensive they are. However, it is surprisingly simple to get wonderful results with things you may already have around the house. You might not know it, but an egg makes a good mask. To tone and tighten, use a beaten egg white. Apply to your face and then rinse it off after it dries. To remove excess oil, the egg yolk can be whipped and mixed with six tablespoons of honey to make a peel off mask.
A refreshing facial is as simple as pouring boiling water over chamomile flowers in a bowl. Just hold your face a few inches above the water and let the steam work its magic. (You can do this, and then later use the liquid for your hair.) If you need an astringent after your facial, Witch Hazel is an all-natural one that can still be bought for about one half of what the name brands cost.
For an all over beauty treatment, relax in a tub full of water with one half cup of powdered milk, which acts as a skin softener. To make your beauty bath do double duty, add a cheesecloth or muslin bag filled with your favorite herbs. Soothing herbs are chamomile flowers and rose flowers. For a stimulating bath, you can use basil, bay, rosemary, or thyme. Sage and strawberry leaves relieve aching muscles and joints. On the other hand, you can make a cleansing body scrub with a handful of oatmeal and two teaspoons of sea salt.
After trying a few of these beauty boosters, you will feel like you have had the spa treatment, without ever leaving home, and, without your money ever leaving your pocket.